Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Hague

On 2 september I visited a friend in The Hague and decided to go into town the next day. It's been a while since I was in The Hage. I visited the gardens near the governmental buildings because there was an outdoor photo gallery which was really worth checking out, but I didn't want to take photo's of photo's.

There was however a statue of Johan van Oldenbarnevelt which was worth taking a snapshot of.
Photobucket

the Hofvijver (court pond...)
Photobucket

The so called 'torentje'(small tower) which acts as the office for the prime minister
Photobucket

The Mauritshuis (but you could read that yourself) which has a major collection of famous paintings.
Photobucket

Overview of the governmental buildings. Quite satisfied with this photo.
Photobucket

The portal to the Binnenhof, the square with doors to the governmental buildings
Photobucket

The formation of the government has taken around 100 days already and there were bound to be some politicians running around followed by the press and random people flocking together trying to get a glance.

Just a couple of people waiting for, well no one knew except the press
Photobucket

The Press was pressed in a corner, the wrong corner though
Photobucket

Stay calm people! It's just a guy taking a long time to get the job done.
Photobucket

Snapshots of Rutte *not Verhagen as I stated earlier..*, I didn't stick around to hear a no comment, I can catch those on the 8 o'clock news.
Photobucket

Photobucket

One of the nicer buildings on the Binnenhof:
Photobucket

I also walked around the local Chinatown and at first wanted to go to the beach near The Hague, but decided I was tired and took the train back to Groningen.

7 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

The Hague is a cool town. It lacks a real 'centre' I feel, but has lovely areas.

I worked on the station side of Chinatown for a while.

14 September 2010 at 11:57  
Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

It looks great there, I have to visit!

19 September 2010 at 15:22  
Blogger Arjan said...

@ Martin: I missed that too, it's a bit wide. I visited a really cool store in Chinatown which sold way too expensive stuff..

@ R2K: yes you do! Also the murderrate is probably (not based on facts..) lower than NYC.

20 September 2010 at 22:41  
Blogger Arkonbey said...

I wanted to comment yesterday, but illness made my writing skills un-good.

After two years of art history, I've got a love of old European architecture that only a foreigner can have. Somehow, even though they are large and overly-ornate, they seem to fit within the world in a way that newer buildings don't. (like that thing sticking up in the left hand side of the second photo. Those jerks)

Sometimes it does suck to live in a country that a) has only 200 years of architecture and b) seems to adore ugly buildings

BTW, there's a very small town in upper New York State called Hague. That must be the reason The Hague is called The Hague ;)

You should have taken photos of photos! It would have been super 'meta'!

24 September 2010 at 20:30  
Blogger Arjan said...

Funny thing was that I just read that day that the new building (not the one to the far left, but the one besides that with the to pointy roofs) was called 'the tits of The Hague' because people found it so ugly. I think they also had a nickname for the other building but I can't recall.

I also like these old buildings although they aren't that old :) Had the same thing when I was in London, the house of parliament just looks awesomely historic.

I can understand your view of the only 200 years, but even that has its appeal sometimes thinking that all that has been build in such a short time.

'The' in The Hague is a bit of a sad translation actually since in Dutch it's 'Den Haag' where 'Den' is translated as 'The' but 'Den' is an old formal way of saying 'the', so not a way to stress it's thé
Gotta love language.

At taking photo's of photo's haha yeah, I thought of exactly that term: meta photography :)

24 September 2010 at 21:12  
Blogger Deepak Gopy said...

Aryan :)
I felt like visiting Hague.Nice pictures.
I am back with a new photoblog.
Last month there was a Dutch film festival here.Showed 6 films of your land,Last film of Theo Vangog,Denis P etc.I liked Denis P a lot.It speaks universal language.I am seriously thinking of lifting the theme of that movie :).
Hope you are fine :)

26 September 2010 at 16:04  
Blogger Arjan said...

Deepak!! Good to hear from you again!
The funny thing is, that Dennis P wasn't that big of a movie over here, and that I only heard about it from Debbie from Singapore and watched it after that.

I'll check out your new blog :)

27 September 2010 at 08:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home