Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I'm a lazy consumer

Today I've bought my first printer (printed at the faculty uptill now..it's cheap etc) and while I was installing this marvel of technology I thought about the fact that I'm one of thé easiest/laziest consumers you can think of.

I'm really the simple consumer who walks into the Mediamarkt (for those who dón't know this, it's Europe largest retailer for consumer electronics) for basicly any electronic thing I need.

Since last September I got the following: a LP-player, card-reader, headset, 1.5TB harddisk, mp3 player (yes..I actually bought a cheap mp3 player to be able to listen to the Midmo Club's podcasts on my way to work, I'm still sticking to my mp3-discman for the rest!) and a printer.

So next to the fact that apparently I spent too much of my hard earned money on electronics..how does that make me a lazy consumer?
Well I'll explain it with the example of how I bought my printer today.

Last weekend I decided that I needed (wanted..) a printer. So the Mediamarkt is an obvious choice to take a look (yeah right..'take' a buy). I walked in, hey..those pile of printers (a specific Canon Printer on offer) set apart look like a good deal. Hmm let's take a look at the other printers 5m down the printer-footpath. Hmm, yeah, more expensive, hmm so many options it'll take me an hour to figure out if I want this, hmm do I want to take that time or just buy the cheap plug&play printer that prints A4 text (and scans)....

Back to the pile of printers..fuck it, let's take this one. I kinda already knew this when I walked down the footpath. I knów they do this on purpose (well duh!) but that's how it works when I want to buy something. I obey the simplest marketing rules off all.
Cheap: check, set-apart: check, simple: check. Ok I'll take it.

I'm lazy like that. I know what I want to buy, I know I want it cheap with basic functions, I'll take the first offer I see where I'd probably be better off if I take a closer look somewhere in the pile of other products, I don't ask too many questions although I did ask what the 'Pay attention to USB cable' sign on every printer meant..it felt like the advice to plug in the usb cable or it won't work* and I buy the product.





*
But..it was kinda smart that I asked... They don't get you a seperate USB cable with a printer anymore, you need to get one for 5€. Supposedly (according to the salesguy) printercompanies decided that they won't include usb cables anymore. I assume because 'everybody' already has enough of these cables. Only the ones I've got are too short or are in use..and I don't want to switch cables everytime I want to use a different device.

*next up: a size comparison of the Gargoyle vs something..don't know yet..maybe this weekend..

7 Comments:

Blogger Arkonbey said...

Gargoyle vs The Weekend!

Now, that's a match-up!

27 May 2010 at 04:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi alll,
I want to make deal with you.

avelino
smart card

27 May 2010 at 07:56  
Blogger Farmers Wifey said...

I love tech stuff too. I bought a laptop yesterday and now realise I can't connect it to the modem because of a cable issue. I'm in pain.

28 May 2010 at 12:36  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Hi Arjan, thanks for the comments you left at mine today... why did i think you were Hugarian and still at school when you bent NEDERLANDER ~ ik weet niet!!
Maar ik lerne een beetje Nederlands toe praaten. Dat sprek it maar niet lekker. Mijn Nederlands is pijnlijk!
So are you studying a BSc in computer engineering...? Is that it? Please let me know I am retarted and I'm sorry for thinking you're from Hungaria. I DO know someone of old from Hungaria, but his name is Ropi, not Arjan and Ropi never lived in a tent at some music festival seemingly for weeks on end about 3 summers ago...

30 May 2010 at 20:07  
Blogger Ian Newbold said...

Lazy is the only way to be.

6 June 2010 at 20:42  
Blogger Arjan said...

@ Arkonbey: the weekend won..(well..working on the thesis won last weekend)

@Farmers Wifey: cable issue? Just a broken cable?

@Gledwood..sorry I haven't continued the comment conversation last week..it's been a crazy week.
Roskilde was one hell of a week indeed haha and my Hungarian is fár worse than your Dutch. You'd be able to hold a bit of a conversation :)

@ Socrates: true.

6 June 2010 at 22:48  
Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

I still don't own a printer. Had one way back in the day, up to about 8 years ago. But then came college, and free printing that was far faster. Now I just wait to print at work.

9 June 2010 at 03:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home