Saturday, October 09, 2010

Hadrians Walk day 1

It took quite a while to make this post and next to a bunch of lame excuses I've also been quite busy, but here it finally is.

From 5-10 July I went on an adventure. I think, especially in hindsight, I can call it an adventure. Somewhere in June 2009, Dan asked his readers to join him in the Hadrians Walk, an 84 mile walk across the breadth of England. From Newcastle all the way to Carlisle! Next to the fact Dan was looking for a reallife meeting so he could push usall in a river and get rid of his readers, the walk was for a good cause (see note at the end of the post!).

Holding back, I could write 10 pages about the best holiday of my life, but I'll just tell the tale in photo's with some comments. Wanna know more? Ask and I will :)
Most photo's were taken by me, but there are also some who were taken by other walkers which are way to cool to leave out.
Click to enlarge, they'll open in a new window :)

Day 1
We started off. Most people were still a bit skiddish.
Start of the walk

Walking
Photobucket

Official sign with Iain posing in front of it.
Photobucket

Catharine already tried to bust her ankle early on, luckily it wasn't too bad
Photobucket

The Tyne
Photobucket

An awesome looking museum, they actually had a Dr Who exposition, but I didn't have time to visit it
Museum

A gas regulation thing, my dad later told me we used to have them here too, I never knew.
Photobucket

Caterpillar!
Photobucket

One of many beautiful views
Photobucket

A well deserved pint
Photobucket

Phil
Photobucket

The good cause was The Joseph Salmon Trust which supports bereaved parents. Thanks to those who supported me and the other walkers we were able to raise around 27000 pounds (around 31000€)! Haven't supported yet, but still want to? You can! Check the Hadrians Walk website.

12 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

What no 10,000 word essay on it? I expect better for day 2!

9 October 2010 at 22:43  
Blogger Arjan said...

actually, a picture is worth more than a thousand words. There are 11 pictures ;)

I might write some more, but the post was needed.

10 October 2010 at 02:38  
Blogger Ed said...

It's the trip that just keeps giving.

Nice pics.

11 October 2010 at 15:33  
Blogger Deepak Gopy said...

Hi Aryan
It appears that you had a nice trip.thank you for posting the pics.I liked your pics a lot,it is really excellent.esp of the river and country side.
Which camera you are using???

12 October 2010 at 19:33  
Blogger Arkonbey said...

Awesome. I was starting to suspect it was all a hoax! ;)

I'd almost forgive the ugliness of that museum for the Dr. Who inside. Tom Baker's scarf, anyone?

And I'm not sure I'd trust beer that you can see through. Seems too American, to me...

15 October 2010 at 03:06  
Blogger Arjan said...

@ Ed: indeed it does & thanks.
@ Deepak: it's a beautiful country once you get out of the cities.
I'm using a Canon 400D with a standard 18-55mm lens. My dad has a 300mm lens for it, but I didn't bring it.

@ Arkonbey haha, I've photoshopped myself in all the photo's, don't rule out a hoax yet ;) But you really don't like the museum? Hmm well tastes differ hehe.

@ the beers, they might be apple ciders (Strongbow) at least 1 or 2 of them. I didn't say a pint of beer :P But we had some of those too, and they're darker.

15 October 2010 at 10:57  
Blogger lastlifeinmyuniverse said...

i have to admit.. I'M DAMN ENVIOUS! this is definitely going on my to-do list.

My blog will still have a flat line until December. That's 'coz yours truly will be in Japan in November.

So, where are you going next, my friend?

16 October 2010 at 16:56  
Blogger Arjan said...

pack light, the more you bring, the more you have to carry and day 3 will show you that you don't want to carry too much :)

@ Japan: E N V Y!

I'm not sure yet..next weekend I'm joining my parents, sis and brother to a little village called 'Enter' how about that ;) But that's just in the Netherlands.
Maybe if I finish my MA, I'm travelling far..we'll see.

16 October 2010 at 22:34  
Blogger lastlifeinmyuniverse said...

pack light? that is gonna be a challenge for me.

I'll send you a postcard from Japan. :)

Enter 'Enter'! haha interesting! Is there an 'exit' then? Teehee!

17 October 2010 at 01:33  
Blogger Arjan said...

I'll be waiting next to the mailbox for it :)

Hmm don't think so, neither a spacebar or anything related :P

18 October 2010 at 10:40  
Blogger lastlifeinmyuniverse said...

lol!

19 October 2010 at 08:20  
Blogger Sam said...

look forward to day 2!

19 October 2010 at 23:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home