Saturday, October 06, 2018

Books I've read in 2018 - Part III

So this is what I read previously:
Isaac Asimov         - I robot
Michael Chrichton         - Dragon Teeth
Svetlana Alexijevitsj - Zinkjongens (Zinky boys)
Dan Abnett         - First and only

Alex Boogers         - Onder een hemel van sproeten
Ian F.W. Beckett
and John Pimlott         - Counter insturgendy. Lessons from history
Dan Abnett         - Ghostmaker
William R. Forstchen - One second after
William R. Forstchne - One year after

And here is what I thought of them Part I  and Part II
Since it's been a while, I've read a bunch more books.

Black Library Celebration 2018
This celebration book contains 6 short stories. Two warhammer 40k stories, two Age of Sigmar stories and two Horus Heresy stories by among others Josh Reynolds and Dembski-Bowden. Worth reading if you're into the whole warhammer universe and can get your hands on one of these books.
Love the background story of Lukas the trickster.

Neil Gaiman - Norse mythology (Noorse Goden, since I had the Dutch version)
I never read any of the classics...but Gaiman makes these gods come alive as some real pieces of work. Love, hate, loss, vengeance... oh and Thor is quite the bastard and Loki is just a dick. A very fast read, but I loved it and laughed out loud quite a lot.


Dan Abnett - Necropolis
Dan Abnett - Honour Guard
I'll finish these up together. If you're into sci-fi and haven't read Gaunt's Ghosts, what are you waiting for. I only remembered bits and pieces. I enjoyed them just as much as the first time around. Mental note to self, re-read this series in 10 years time and I'm pretty sure I'll still love them as much as the first time. Great story telling, great character building and indepth realistic (reading) fights.
Necropolis finished up The Founding-omnibus and Honour Guard started The Saint.


                
Jay Kristoff - Nevernight
A teenage girl gets educated to be an assassin. For a moment I feared it would be some sort of copy of JRR Martin's faceless assassins, but Kristoff really pulled it off to create a fast paced original assassin-school story. There's a part II and III...they'll have to be read in 2019 I guess.

Japke-D Bouma - Ga lekker zelf in je kracht staan
A Dutch book about office lingo in the Netherlands and why it is mostly bullshit. Very recognizable if you've worked in an office for at least a couple of months (or years, like me).

Jake Arnott - The fatal tree
I never consciously heard about Arnott's The long firm, but supposedly I need to catch up. Anyways, I somehow held this book almost everytime I went into the bookshop untill I finally bought it. I didn't know what to expect. It's a brilliant look into the lives of thieves and prostitutes in London in the early 18th century with the awesome use of their 'Flash' talk (thieves language; transl. Dutch: 18th century Bargoens). I'll remember some of these words for sure.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home