Sunday, December 23, 2018

Books I've read in 2018 - part IV

So this is what I read previously:
Isaac Asimov           - I robot
Michael Chrichton          - Dragon Teeth
Svetlana Alexijevitsj  - Zinkjongens (Zinky boys)
Dan Abnett           - First and only

Alex Boogers           - Onder een hemel van sproeten
Ian F.W. Beckett
and John Pimlott          - Counter insturgendy. Lessons from history
Dan Abnett           - Ghostmaker
William R. Forstchen - One second after
William R. Forstchne - One year after

Black Library Celebration 2018
Neil Gaiman - Norse mythology
Dan Abnett - Necropolis
Dan Abnett - Honour guard
Jay Kristoff - Nevernight
Japke-D Bouma - Ga lekker zelf in je kracht staan
Jake Arnott - The fatal tree

And here is what I thought of them: Part I , Part II , Part III

R.W. Chambers - The king in yellowIf you are wondering where H.P. Lovecraft got his inspiration for the Necronomicon (the non-existent book that's referred to in many of his stories) from...well it's at least partly from R. W. Chambers' series of tales collected in The king in yellow. Chambers series of stories regularly refer to or are centered around the non-existent book of The king in yellow. If you like weird, dark tales centered around a mysterious book that drives its readers mad, this might be for your. I think I bought it for 5€.



Isaac Asimov - Foundation
Isaac Asimov - Foundation and Empire
I asked a friend which so-called classics written by Asimov I should read. He suggested I'd read the Foundation series. I've finished the first two. I was nót disappointed. Asimov delivered on his fame. He creates a very cool universe in the far future of mankind with enough science, space battles, cool technology and unique twists to keep any sci-fi fan entertained. ('ve got Second Foundation and Foundation's Edge lined up for next year).



Jules Verne - Around the world in 80 days.
I've watched the movie a bunch of times and knew the general story, but never actually read the book before. If you are in a similar position...don't think, oh I know the story, nevermind. Read it. It's a fast paced story worth your time. It surprised me on at least one turn where I thought...this wouldn't be written today in this way or the hero would lose his status as hero completely.


Philip K. Dick - Do androids dream of electric sheep
I probably watched Bladerunner a couple of times way back when (I always forget too fast..)...but I never read the book. I laughed out loud a bunch of times. A very entertaining and fastpaced book about the identity of being human and what it (might) actually mean.

I also read some other very short Black Library stories and I've at least finished a couple of H.P. Lovecraft's stories this year. I loved Lovecraft's way of creating dark terrible things without being as explicit in showing the 'enemy' in the stories. They stay veiled in darkness most of the times and that keeps you on your toes.

I won't finish any more books this year since it's obviously already the 23rd of December...and next to that I've managed to dive back into Tolstoj's War and Peace which I won't finish for another month or two at least. I'm really set on finishing the book this time around, but so far I love it.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home