Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Spore Chimney

I've been searching for a bit (on warpshadow and on google) for people who made spore chimney's from scratch.

I couldn't find any pictures or tutorials so I decided I would just start trying to build one (or more) myself. I’m no modelling hero and I find even thinking about how to make this one hard enough so I just decided to start building.

--
I've borrowed Foam cutter
this gigantic polystyrene cutter (melter actually) from my dad's work to cut polystyrene blocks in the right shape.

You can get smaller versions of these cutters for modelling purposes or make a bigger one yourself with a power supply, a metal wire and something where you span the wire between (for instance the arc of a figure saw).

I looked at the pictures at the inside of the cover of the codex and on page 60 to get an idea how to build them. this is one from the Warstore).

I’ve decided to cut a polystyrene block into a narrow spire and add bended pieces of plastic card to it. But first to get the hang of it I started building a small version with only one block: small piece
This one.

The problem is that you have to measure stuff for a spire(not every spire has to be the same of course) to fit the pieces of plastic card to it without getting pieces which stick out too much.
Plastic card
My first part wasn't exactly the shape I want the others to become, but satisfactory for the global idea (it actually looks like a piece of carapace).

Adding the bubbles and carapace points to it shouldn’t be too much of a problem.
Base coated
Base coated.

bubbles & stuffadded stuff

so far so good
thing + pieces coated.

I'll update the blog as soon as I've finished this try out. I'll make a spire about 6 times as high eventually where the plasticcard is shaped a bit differently. But cutting out the plasticard happened to be quite easy so that shouldn't be a problem.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Angelus Sanctus said...

Not a bad lookin Chimney (considering its probably your first one). I've got a much more smaller hand held wire cutter that works well *ponders trying to slice up some of the styrene foam i have to make a chimney*.

For some reason i can imagine you could get a more similar look to the FW ones with a larger piece of styrene and a lot more precision, but that is me being weird.


-eTAS

27 December 2006 at 13:46  
Blogger lastlifeinmyuniverse said...

chocolate. yummy ! :P


couldve fooled me heh heh.

29 December 2006 at 12:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

erm..chocolate?

I don't know what you are referring to, but I'm getting damn hungry nonetheless ;)

*time to search for my old post about 'oliebollen'

30 December 2006 at 11:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home