Saturday, June 27, 2009

Magnetized

I've had this model for ages but this year I finally got around to start finishing it. One of the minor reasons was that I got decent magnets now.
I háven't finished the model yet but you're all smart enough to figure that out by yourself, this is just the last photo stage before I dó finish it.

The leg section with base:
Magnetofex

I painted the magnetside of the magnets red (the other side I call the glue-side..wow that's creative!..not).
Magnetofex

The model has 3 different shoulderpads, basic, weapon 1 and weapon 2.
Magnetofex

The thing what is a bit stupid is that it has basicly 6 possible headcombinations, but only 11 headparts. The regen-part is combined with one of the basic-parts which leaves you with no nórmal head. Good thing that my 2nd carnifex has just arrived in a box, so I wíll make one.
Magnetofex

So far I've magnetized the heavy weapons and 1 set of other guns, the rest (a bunch of other combi's) is WIP.
Magnetofex
Heavy weapons above, other set below.
Magnetofex

Even though I did the whole paint the magnetsize red so you know which side you need to glue etc..I did make a major error..the lower right torso magnet was glued the other way around than which it should have been and I already built in the heavy weapon arm magnet. If it was just the torso it wouldn't have been a problem to 'break' the magnet off, but I can't possibly get it óut of the heavy weaponsarm.
This just means that the places of the heavy weapons arms are fixed. The venom cannon is the lower set and the barbed strangler has to be the top set.
If not, it looks like this:
*the combi on the photo is a twin-devourer on top and a barbed strangler in the lower set, which doesn't work..*
Magnetofex

As I said, the next carnifex has already arrived. I'm not sure I want to get that one magnetized too. Next to that I'm not sure if I want to built the error that I made on the above model into the new one on purpose so that all arms will be completely interchangable or that I want to do this one right and will have to wait a bit longer to get éach and évery possible combination (some sets such as the devourer only come in one set per model).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Lee said...

I must admit to being completely ignorant on all things of this nature so I was surprised to see magnets being used to join the arms and head and stuff.

How big is the model?

I think it is really clever because within a game you could do upgrades etc, swap out for battle damage and all sorts of neat stuff.

So I am very impressed with it all.

I've got a River statue from the film Serenity and that uses magnets to keep her stuck to the base.

28 June 2009 at 01:38  
Blogger lastlifeinmyuniverse said...

just how many models are you made so far? you've posted so many of them in the past. you know what you should do? take a picture of your models and add speech bubbles on the top and make a story out of it. hehe! i can totally see it now :D

28 June 2009 at 01:48  
Blogger Arjan said...

@ Lee: the model is about 3"/8cm high
5"/13cm long (head to tail) and about 2"/5cm wide.
I'll make a comparison photo with something.

Unfortunately I can't upgrade mídgame, but between games yes, it saves me buying and building a gazillion of this model (around 30€ a piece). As for battledamage I just lift the torso off to reveal to (smoking :P) legs + tail haha.
The main problem with magnets is that you need to be oh-so careful to keep the poles in the right direction or arms will bounce *btw I fixed the magnet-fail!

I just googled River, cool model, she looks kinda crispy clean among those corpses.

@ Debbie: it took a bit of counting, but including this work in progress they amount to 94! models and there are more underway.

Hmm I really should do a comic about it haha.

28 June 2009 at 13:07  
Blogger Maarten said...

Wow! That's a huge creep! :P

And use Comic Life for making easy comics! ;)

3 July 2009 at 19:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home