Thursday, June 18, 2009

Pinkpop (music festival)

At the end of May I went to the Pinkpop festival. I haven't been posting because I had too much other stuff to do, but I'm back.

Pinkpop is at least worldfamous in the Netherlands and it's the oldest yearly popfestival in the world (this was the 40st time!). A couple of years back there was a major decline in visitors but the organizers managed to get out of that dip and came back strong. A short explanation: it's around eastern (Dutch: pinksteren), the Dutch word contains 'pink', it has mainly popmusic, a 'pop' means doll in Dutch so you end up with a pink doll as a logo and lots of people walk around dressed in pink or with the pink hat sold for a good cause (amnesty international) and which is a real collectors item.

I've been going to festivals for years because at least the following reasons: 1) it's an affordable way to see a lot of artists in a short time 2)it's an easy way to get to know new music 3)we always go with a group of cool people 4)a long weekend of drinking and stuffing your face with junkfood..what's not to like.

I'll stop rambling, here are the photo's:

I saw in random order: The killers, Bruce Springsteen, the Tingtings, Kyteman, Placebo, Mando Diao, Franz Ferdinand, Novastar, Milo (famous for his cover of a 50ct track), Madness.

Some minor links to music which you should check out if you don't already know it:
Kyteman's hiphop orchestra (Dutch group, but a lot of English, and French texts)
The TingTings (poppy, but cool).

9 Comments:

Blogger Arkonbey said...

Awesome! I'm jealous.

The Boss mixing with indie bands? Weird! and cool!

I've been digging on the Killers and Franz Ferdinand lately, myself.

18 June 2009 at 22:26  
Blogger Arjan said...

jep, and it was supposedly the first time éver that he played on a festival.
He also did a little dance with a girl on stage.

I haven't listened much to the new FF cd yet, but I will.

18 June 2009 at 23:34  
Anonymous Lee Sargent said...

The Killers were awesome when we saw them here in Brisbane, although I bought a shirt and completely regretted it after I got home and looked at it in the harsh morning light.

Would have been pretty cool seeing Springsteen.

19 June 2009 at 00:10  
Blogger Maarten said...

*another Killers fan overhere*

Still cool your dad also went! :)

20 June 2009 at 01:29  
Blogger Arjan said...

@Lee haha those are 'occasion' shirts, just for certain occasions.

@ Maarten: it was! He really needed it.

20 June 2009 at 12:36  
Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

Hey can you help me add digg icons to my posts? Is there some code I have to add each time? Or something in the template?

21 June 2009 at 01:11  
Blogger Martin said...

I have been hearing that Bruce Springsteen was Fantastic at this.

21 June 2009 at 18:41  
Blogger Dan said...

Sounds like a great lineup, I'd have loved to have seen springsteen.

21 June 2009 at 21:22  
Blogger Arjan said...

Yes, Bruce was awesome.

The only thing with these kind of BIG performances is that you can't keep yourself from missing out on certain songs..but well I should concentrate on the awesome ones he díd play :)

25 June 2009 at 21:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home