Wednesday, March 18, 2009

push-& sit-up challenge

Ok so this wasn't the planned update but I hope to make decent updates soon.
In the meanwhile Lee got me started doing bóth the push-up ánd the sit-up challenge and I'm also running before each of those tasks.

Why not do just one thing? Because first of all I don't have enough patience and second of all there's this test called the
apft test(army physical fitness test) which is about running 2 miles (3,2km), x number of sit-ups and x number of push-ups. There's a minimum you have to score within the age group you fit in.
In my case, I have to run 2 miles in 16,36min, do 50 sit-ups and 40 push-ups to be qualified as an active duty soldier. I'm not going to enlist, but I do want to get to this fitness level.

I started this week with a 1,5km run, week 3 (of 6) for the sit-ups and week 1 (of 6) for push-ups. The distance because I haven't run a decent distance for a while and I want to build it up gradually. The sit-ups, because my base was enough to start in week 3 and my push-up base was week 1. I was a bit disappointed by the latter, but I guess the running and sitting up was hard enough.

The separate challenges should only take you 10 minutes a day on 3 days a week, I suggest you do it before hitting the showers, or you can go at it again. In my case, it takes me about 30 minutes a day, but that's the cost of wanting to do everything.

The strength of these training schedule's is that even when you're not that fit, you should be able to be much and much and múch fitter after 6 weeks without going over the top. Now have a go at it (either one or if you're an idiot like me, all).

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

plus there is a cool iphone aplication for the push up one at least.

I'm tempted. But still rather lazy.

18 March 2009 at 18:06  
Blogger Arjan said...

hmm I don't got an iphone..
I'll stick to writing it down in word.

The good thing about this one is..you can do it if you're lazy! It should only take up 10 minutes per day, 3 days a week. Well, how about those sit-ups, you'd be my man of the year 2009 if you'd get to 100.

18 March 2009 at 19:19  
Blogger The Angelus Sanctus said...

Is that like 100 sit ups in ONE single sitting ?

Cos when i was going to the gym frequently, i would do like three sets of sit ups, each set with like 200, but that was between the typical sit-up and the two side ones.



-eTAS

19 March 2009 at 09:28  
Blogger Arjan said...

should be 200 in the official challenge, but apft requires less so 100 would be nice enough. And yes, in a single set. Just the typicals.

Just doing the sit-ups wouldn't be a such a big problem for me at the moment, but it's the whole thing.

side-ones being crunches I presume.
So where's your fitness gone to Tas..

19 March 2009 at 10:13  
Blogger Arkonbey said...

50 sit ups and 40 pushups? That's pretty challenging. Good on you for doing that; you'll feel better all the time.

To graduate from U.S. Coast Guard Boot Camp we only had to do 40 sit ups and 25 push ups. We also had to do 5 chin ups and the run was only 1.5 miles in 15 min.

Of course what with doing 20 push ups every time the company commander looked at you for eight weeks, and having to run every where in boots, it wasn't all that hard in the end

19 March 2009 at 14:26  
Blogger Unknown said...

hm... 100 push ups....
Nah, not for me I'll stop at 40 a day I think.

But I'll be on the sidelines rooting for you!

21 March 2009 at 11:38  
Blogger Arjan said...

@ Arkonbey: that coastguard one sounds very very doable (already).

@ Erwin: I'll have you on the sidelines cheering when I do the final test :P

23 March 2009 at 11:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home