Saturday, July 26, 2008

Rome 2008: picture post

Almost 2 weeks home again, but the picture post got intercepted by other stuff.
There are one hell of a lot of pics, but hey it's Rome! Check all pics here.

Clouds




The Coloseum


Inside the colosseum


One of the many victory arcs


The ask-a-ninja get's stabbed.


The first thing that 'popped into my head' was: Sylar (Heroes!) was here.


The circus minimus race track, part of the Palantine (I stood corrected..but I'm a laymen when it comes to ancient Rome :( ) But it was part of our Forum Romanum tour ;)


Ancient buildings everywhere


The Spanish steps (top side)


Inside the Vatican. Some woman made the globe spin, the guards went haywire hehe. ...she claimed she asked her guide for permission). Btw..our top-guide Stan on the far right.


A marble bathtub. This specific marble costs around 85€ per gram. Try to estimate the weight (there was no sign), and you get a mindbogling price (probably over 400 million).


Sarcophagus made from the same marble


Paintings, paintings, and more paintings


Debbie's postcard ;)


The Vesuvius taken from a fort in Napoli


One of the many buildings in Pompeii

On top of the chapel in the Vatican


The Trevi fountain (of course I threw in a coin!)


The Pantheon


There are tons of wide-view pics, but if you want to see all pics, pick the link I mentioned. One small word about the Vatican: it's beautiful, but it's so over the top decadent that it makes you resent the Catholic church a bit.

10 Comments:

Blogger lastlifeinmyuniverse said...

ah! i so wanna go back to italy now! i hope you managed to swing by venice and florence coz they are, imho, the highlights of the country.

naked men, ahem.

26 July 2008 at 17:10  
Blogger Arjan said...

didn't see Venice or Florence :(
But that's a good reason to return to Italy.

26 July 2008 at 17:29  
Blogger Maarten said...

Very nice! I'll post my Rome pics asap (arrived the day you left :P). That little theatre is not part of the forum, but part of the Palantine (the hill where all the Imperial palace were built) :')

Florence and Venice are really nice cities, but very touristic. Especially the latter is nice when you're loste somewhere in some small streets without tourists (which will most probably your neighbours or someone from your family :P)

26 July 2008 at 19:06  
Blogger Arjan said...

I corrected my mistake. I'm sure our guide told me..but he told so much..never got an ancient-Rome education..so I'm a laymen.

27 July 2008 at 13:16  
Blogger Maarten said...

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/8825/itali0873ms6.jpg

Here's the proof :P That's me and my whole fam :)

27 July 2008 at 13:30  
Blogger Maarten said...

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/8825/
itali0873ms6.jpg

works better, link is incomplete :P

27 July 2008 at 13:31  
Blogger Arjan said...

I was glad that I wore some decent shoes while in Rome..I think I would have wasted slippers..

27 July 2008 at 13:35  
Blogger Maarten said...

I've bought 2 pairs of these green slippers (is that the English term? :P) voor €1,50 per pair and they're friggin' nice. Did Rome on it and I'm still wearing them almost every single day :)

27 July 2008 at 16:24  
Blogger Deepak Gopi said...

Hi Arjan
Thank you for posting those pics.
appears that you had a nice time there.I felt like I am actually seeing rome.
you have an award at my blog.
good day

28 July 2008 at 09:19  
Blogger Arjan said...

Again, thanks for the chocolates!!

28 July 2008 at 10:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home