Sunday, July 26, 2009

Some movies I saw of late

Some movies I saw lately in the cinema or on dvd. I'm gonna keep the reviews short because otherwise I'll probably say what others said tons of times. I'll keep it to a short judgement and a personal touch (where possible).

Terminator Salvation
I can be fairly short about this one, it wasn't as good as say the first Terminator movie, but I díd like it as an actionpacked popcorn cinema movie. Nothing too deep, just a saturday night action movie. What I didn't really like is what might be a problem MC described as the thin line between making a reference to a movie and ripping it off. In TS there were Matrix-like drones and a bunch of other things that were more on the ripping off side of the line than the reference-making side of a couple of movies.

Startrek
This was *yes your heart is gonna skip a beat* the first Startrek movie I saw in the cinema (not the first I saw!!). I really liked it though. I mainly grew up on startrek next gen with an older startrek version ep now and then on bbc or so. Of course I roughly knew most characters but not as well as with the other trek series. They told the story in a way that even when you're not a yearlong trek-vet you can get along just fine. I heard that a lot of startrek fans didn't like it, but well their problem. Another small thing I liked was that the accent of Pavel Chekov didn't irritate me. Sometimes you think..oh there we go again..the Russian accent guy, but it felt good here. There was a bit of too much drama at one point though (dramatic music etc) but I guess there's got to be something for everyone.

Windtalkers
I saw this on dvd. I liked the war-action scenes because the movie sketches the confusion of battle in the pacific as good as I might imagine it really was. But the movie was supposed to have a decent story about how the Navajo worked as code talkers and how important they were, but the entire story kinda got washed away by the action. It was more of a side-thing for the movie and I don't want to say that it should have been the other way around, but there was no balance. Oh and there was a very small love interest for Nicolas Cage which could have been left out just as easy, it didn't add anything to the movie.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

I hate it when movies put in stupid unnecessary love scenes. I assume they do it "for the ladies", which if you stop and think about it is incredibly patronizing.

I wouldn't mind if they put big explosions and gunfights in period dramas though.

Actually, I smell a post about that coming on.

26 July 2009 at 23:21  
Blogger Arkonbey said...

You're right about Windtalkers. I will add that the other not-good aspect was having the Nick Cage character at all. Why not have (gasp!) a Native American star?

29 July 2009 at 13:44  
Blogger Arjan said...

@ Dan..does it smell like anything good..or does it smell period?

@ Arkonbey
That's a very good point, if you make a movie about how the Navajo were oh so important, make thém the stars.

29 July 2009 at 18:37  
Anonymous Tracey said...

Cool - it sounds like you've caught up on an eclectic mix of movies recently. I worry about how many I have waiting on my list of 'yet-to-be-viewed'...sadly the list keeps growing by the day.

I thought Terminator Salvation was 'OK', the cast probably helped me like it more than I otherwise would have. Star Trek was a good watch, though I'm sure Lee would be much more effusive in his praise. I saw Windtalkers a few years back, and I have to admit that I don't recall too much from watching it...perhaps that says something in itself?? ;)

10 August 2009 at 15:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home