Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Trygon has been gnawing at my time, really!

So what has been eating up time *pun intended*?
After around 4 months I've finally finished my biggest model yet, the Trygon (Prime)/Mawloc. I realized I didn't take a size comparison, so..it stands around 6" tall. Update, check this for comparison.

The problem with this model is that you can make 3 versions but they kinda want to make you buy 3 models for this. As most people know, these models are expensive enough as (around 39€ retail and 27€ via Maelstromgames.co.uk) is and don't get me started on time, therefore I compromised. They have parts for 2 jaws (mawloc and trygon/prime) and skull tops for all three. I had to get the top skull incl. skull base via e-bay and ordering another trygon where I sold the rest of the trygon. Next to that, the Mawloc has only very small claws and the Trygon/Prime has really big talons. Here I compromised by only using the big talons and leaving the small ones alone. They díd deliver all 3 different tails which I made interchangable with a pin which means the photo's sometimes have a Trygon Prime on it with a Mawloc tail.

Trygon Prime with Trygon tail
Trygon

Trygon Prime with Prime tail
Trygon

Trygon Prime from the back (Prime tail)
Trygon

Mawloc - mawloc tail
Trygon

Mawloc - mawloc tail
Trygon

Mawloc tail
Trygon

The model is done, the base is not. Normally I don't put in too much time in the base, but a large beast needs a decent base. This beast is able to dig underground and come up and I've tried theming the base around this. There's also an almost identical base that I'll use as a marker base. I'll post a decent base post when I'm done with that.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Deepak Gopy said...

Great.Congratsssssssssss....

26 October 2010 at 19:31  
Blogger Jo Beaufoix said...

Wow Arjan, that's amazing! Didn't realise you made stuff like that. Brilliant. :D

27 October 2010 at 13:05  
Blogger Ed said...

Impressive! I think to really give us a feel of what you've accomplished you should post before pictures -- you know like what the thing looked like before you started putting it together and painting it. Can you remove all of the paint and start over so we can see that?

27 October 2010 at 13:50  
Blogger Arjan said...

@ Deepak: thanks.

@ Jo: the HQ of Games Workshop is right under your nose in Nottingham though :) (warhammer world).

@ Ed: I can do you one better with a link to the sprues

27 October 2010 at 14:26  
Blogger Arkonbey said...

Very nicely done. The red-edged carapaces are really good. Are you working in acrylics or enamels?

I prefer the Mawloc tail. It makes it look like a gigantic, mutated earwig

27 October 2010 at 19:56  
Blogger Arjan said...

@ Arkonbey:
Thanks. *wanted to add a thanks :) *
Acrylics I think (waterbased though).

as for the tails, I'm really divided between the stinger with sacs and the mawloc tail.

27 October 2010 at 22:14  
Blogger jai said...

hi

nice very nice blog post ...well written .

Seo company india | Seo India

30 October 2010 at 10:55  
Blogger jai said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

30 October 2010 at 10:55  
Blogger Deepak Gopy said...

Hi Aryan :)
No plans of posting a new one??
Happy Diwali :)

4 November 2010 at 16:49  
Blogger Arjan said...

there are plans, but the problem was I just got my pc back yesterday evening from repairs. The videocard's ventilator was broken and made my pc sound like it was short on breath.
I'll try and update this weekend, maybe models, maybe a piece of graffiti on a building that I've been wanting to photograph for ages.

4 November 2010 at 16:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home