Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Ignorant graffiti or on purpose?

First of all, I listen to a lot of rap music and I know there's a lot of violent and sexist content in it, but it's not different from a lot of other music and it's not new so I don't think the discussion is all that interesting and it's not what this post will be about, it will just be slightly touching on that subject.

Dan was posting some graffiti he saw and I remembered I still wanted to take a photo of a piece of graffiti that always makes me smile and shake my head.

Graansilo graffiti

Stop Hiphop graffiti

I was talking about rap music earlier on and as some might know, rap music is part of hiphop. But hiphop also includes among other things .... graffiti. And that's where the graffiti piece above turns funny. By spraying 'Stop Hiphop'the creator is participating in it.
The following questions remain:
1) Was the creator only against rap music (because of the content?) and in his/her ignorance wrote hiphop?
or
2) is he/she against anything hiphop related?
or remotely possible
3) the creator knows the nuance and made it on purpose as a statement against people who dón't know.

What do you think?

8 Comments:

Blogger Nashe^ said...

When I first looked at that picture I immediately thought #3... Someone who has the talent for graffiti should already have known that it's a part of hiphop culture!

23 November 2010 at 19:07  
Blogger Dan said...

You learn something new every day!

24 November 2010 at 10:13  
Blogger Arjan said...

@ Nashe: let's hope so :)
@ Dan: I do my best to help enlighthen the world and be enlightened by others :P

25 November 2010 at 16:35  
Blogger Lee said...

I really like the building actually :)

26 November 2010 at 06:55  
Blogger Arjan said...

it used to be a grainsilo and eventually up to about 3 years ago or so it was used as a paintball gaming yard with car wrecks to hide behind, very cool.

But now, sadly, the building is getting torn down, they're taking their sweet time though. Last year before they took out the interior it was set alight 2 times but it didn't burn down and I haven't seen them at it for the last two months.

26 November 2010 at 09:50  
Blogger Lee said...

That's too bad that they couldn't do something with the building because it looks like a great space!

29 November 2010 at 02:40  
Blogger Pat Tillett said...

There's a fine line between graffiti and art.
In this case maybe the artist is just being whimsical?
I also love the old buildiing!

4 December 2010 at 19:01  
Blogger Arjan said...

@ Lee: yeah would be great if they'd left the outside standing. The area is supposed to get cleared to make space for housing containers for students. Maybe they should built them inside the building..

@ Pat: maybe indeed. It's gonna be a very strange sight when it's gone, I've been passing that building for years.

4 December 2010 at 23:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home