Sunday, August 23, 2009

Dutch movies (top 10) pt 1

I was tagged weeeeeks ago by Dan to do a top ten movie list of Dutch movies worth watching, at least I think that's what he wants. Because I'm working too much, trying to have a social life and still do other time consuming silly stuff, and of course because I'm lazy, I'll just use IMDB for short synopsis info (without spoiling) if I agree enough with it.

The list is at random, not specifically the best movie first, just some Dutch movies you should see. Because of said lazyness this is pt 1. This is 1 of the first titles that came into my head when thinking about good Dutch movies.

Soldaat van Oranje/ Soldier of Orange (also known as Survival run).
Trailer:


Synopsis:
SOLDIER OF ORANGE is a film about a group of friends who encounter the occupation of Holland by the Germans in different ways. The film splits up it's time dealing with the stories of the friends and that of one of them who becomes a high ranking member of the OSS and close political ally to the queen of Holland. The film, set during WW2, is even handed in it's approach. SOLDIER OF ORANGE is a unusual film and was made with a high degree of quality. The film goes for a sense of realism not often seen in cinema, the film,made in Holland is in dutch yet in the sequences in england it is in English. I recommend this film to WW2 buffs and fans of art-house cinema alike. Both groups will be pleased as will foreign film fans who can be assured of finding something worthwhile.

Personal adds: remember that it's a movie from 1977 and it shows a bit, but for the time it was (and is) still a very good movie. Directed by Paul Verhoeven.
I'll try to update with pt2 on wednesday.

7 Comments:

Blogger jjdaddyo said...

A great movie, and a good example of what Verhoeven could do before he went completely Hollywood (Showgirls, anyone?)
Another recent good one of his that mines the same vein is Zwartboek (Black Book), which I suppose is technically a German movie, but whatever. It stars Carice van Houten, who is a smoking hot Dutch tomato... if that makes any sense.

23 August 2009 at 23:09  
Blogger jjdaddyo said...

PS, that trailer is TERRIBLE. It really is a good movie, but who the hell did they get to dub Rutger Hauer's voice?

23 August 2009 at 23:13  
Blogger Arjan said...

Yeah viewing the trailer it annoyed the hell out of me..so I was actually debating with myself if I'd not rather post the Dutch trailer..

Carice van Houten is indeed smoking hot :)
Why is it technically a German movie? I haven't seen this one and it might yet have to appear in the list...

25 August 2009 at 21:05  
Blogger Arkonbey said...

Interesting. I'll only watch it if I can find a subtitled version, though.

Whenever I watch WW2 films, I like to spot what kind of Allied planes and armor they use to stand in for Axis ones.

I find it amazing to think that Paul Verhoeven went on to direct Robocop (and then went on to rape and pillage Henlein's Starship Troopers).

26 August 2009 at 03:43  
Blogger Martin said...

Funny, when I saw the post title I could only think of one worthy Dutch movie, and this was it.

Mostly filmed in my 'home town' and the DVD version I have has a PAUZE in the middle!

28 August 2009 at 18:51  
Blogger jjdaddyo said...

I think I classified it (Zwartboek) as a German movie because it was a German production company. The film is done in German and Dutch so I guess you can call it whatever you like.

30 August 2009 at 20:34  
Blogger Arjan said...

@Arkonbey: I hate dubbed movies..if they aren't English I always use subtitles if I can find them. They'll probably be around.

@Xbox: that pauze is classic haha. I think there are more Dutch movies but I also have to think a bit about it. I think it's mainly because they aren't known to a big public though.

@JJ Daddy-O ah ok, I'll check the movie this week anyways :) If it's worth it I'll just classify it as Dutch :P

30 August 2009 at 22:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home