Sunday, February 01, 2009

Piotr's Witchhunters

Seeing the photo's I know I should have taken more time for them with proper lighting and some settings adjusted *like focus*. But even now you'll get a good idea of how awesome these Witchhunters are painted. Almost too cool to shoot or hack & slash in close combat.

The whole army:
Witchhunter force

The hq (had a 2+ save ..which could be made into a 2+ inv with a faithpoint)
Photobucket

Photobucket

A magnetized wing (custom made by a company in Poland)
Seraphim wing

Nasty critters, these ones:
Photobucket

1 of the 2 troops choices that were riding around in a rhino
Photobucket

The exorcist flanked by the 2 rhino's
Photobucket

We fought a Seize Ground mission with 1500pts each. I've never fought against Witchhunters before and so I was constantly asking what does that, how does that work etc. For Piotr it was his first battle since 3rd ed!! so he was asking his fair share of questions too :) It was a fierce battle and I constantly feared for my flying tyrant to be blasted in one turn of Exorcist rocket fire (d6x 48" s8 ap1!!) because that one's damn scary! On a good roll it would have no trouble whiping my tyrant off the battlefield, fortunately for me ..it didn't have many good rolls.
I won the battle after 7! turns with 2 objectives versus 1 contested *a Rhino drove into a ruin for this*.

Best Witchhunter unit: an inquisitor with his lackeys *3 heavybolters*, not because they killed so many, but because they repelled almost anything that came at them in close combat untill the hyve tyrant decided it was enough.

Tyranid's best unit: this is a hard one. The tyrant had an angel protecting him, he only got 1 wound from the exorcist no matter how many times it fired on him (or her whatever) and after some initial warming up he killed his fair share of units including the exorcist and the inquisitor and his buddies. But next to that I think my Raveners did a good job at wounding the hq badly and tying it up for longer than we both expected. The genestealers *with talons* wiped the seraphims and the hq in the end.

Things learned: I should rely more on the thick hide of my carnifex, it could have killed the heavy support heavybolter sisters far earlier on. Another thing, termagants might have been a good choice because at a couple of points in the game they would've been able *I had spinegaunts..so they weren't able* to destroy or at least hold up a rhino by shooting at it's back. They would also be good against landspeeders.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

sweet jebas, those are sweet. very nice wing conversions!

HAH! 2+ invulnerable. I hope he brings it to Noorderspel. My librarian's in the making. I'll Nullzone his ass! (or mass bolterfire will do the trick)

1 February 2009 at 13:09  
Blogger Arjan said...

it's hér ass ;)
and without the faithpoints..its still a 2+.

He might bring 1 or 2 more of those exorcists *eeks*.

1 February 2009 at 13:43  
Blogger Arkonbey said...

very very nice! You're giving this girl a run for her money.

I especially like the wooden furniture on the bolt gun in the third pic. Your basing is also fantastic. If I had to nitpick, I'd say the stone is perfect, but the snow seems a little out of scale.

Maybe I should post pics of my old Space Marines from the big set I bought back in '89 so you can laugh at the :)

2 February 2009 at 17:57  
Blogger Arjan said...

just to be 200% clear, I didn't paint them, it's Piotr's army.
And I agree he's competing at paintrix or coolminiornot level!
I have some doubts about the snow too, but that's personal taste I guess.

I won't laugh at your marine, my first couple of mini's were little plastic horrors too ;)

2 February 2009 at 18:07  
Blogger Arkonbey said...

Oh. Sorry. Please allow me to retract and re-direct the complement ;)

So, post some of your stuff so people of little observational skills (like myself) wont' be so confused.

3 February 2009 at 20:34  
Blogger The Angelus Sanctus said...

Gotta say, that is one very impressive Witchhunters army.


-eTAS

7 February 2009 at 16:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home