Sunday, October 04, 2009

I'm sooooo retro

It's a public secret I don't have an Ipod, I use some ancient device called an mp3-cdplayer to listen to my music while on the road. It's still working after 8 years and I'm not planning to replace it anytime soon (as long as it's still working of course).

Everytime someone sees me pull this one:

out of my pocket they're like WHAT THE F is that! But I like being able to just grab a normal cd or an mp3 cd out of a rack and press play, instead of hooking a machine up to the pc and having to erase-copy stuff and fix playlists and whatnot, and I'm not getting started about being forced to use itunes. I'm just lazy like that.

Another advantage is that I just use rechargable batteries and I always have an extra set with me so that I'm not stuck without music.

But what I was building up to was that about a month (or is it already 1,5?) ago I bought an LP player, brand new but it still has a retro feel to it buying a new thing to play old music. My parents got a ton of lp's that they want to put on cd, and I would just like to play them as lp's.
I'm really looking forward to be able to play Peter and the wolf or some other oldies again:

It's at least 10 years since I've heard this one!

Next to that, last week I bought 2 LP's. One with the best of Ennio Morricone and BÖC's Imaginos:

I'm really eager to play those.
But somehow I can't get my lp player to work. I only have an old miniset radio with an aux function on it but the LP player has the option of using a line-in connection instead of the phono. And besides that I couldn't get the thing to at least start turning which you would expect even if the music signal couldn't be transferred if it's plugged into current. I hope I'll be able to solve this and listen to old music again before long.

Of course the 'I'm soooo retro' is in jest, I just like the fact that my mp3 player still works and I really love to be able to play those old lps again.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Lee Sargent said...

I'm really tempted to send you my old iPod :P

5 October 2009 at 00:14  
Blogger Captain Incredible said...

I've got a Creative Zen Touch MP3 that's about five years old and still stuttering along - the LCD's shot, so I can't see the menus, and the thing's been set to random play for about six months now.

I keep meaning to change it but haven't gotten around to it yet...

And I'm looking into getting a USB turntable for all my Dad's old LPs as well. He's got quite an extensive classical collection and wants me to transfer some of it to his iPod...

Should be interesting...

5 October 2009 at 10:14  
Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

Hey man dont joke about the CD mp3 player... back in 1999 my friend had one of the first CD burners, and had one of these things. He was listening to 100 songs while my MP3 player (literally the first model ever sold) only held at the most 20 songs! (More like 15.)

In other words... Hack the planet!

5 October 2009 at 15:27  
Blogger Arkonbey said...

"Another advantage is that I just use rechargable batteries"

That's the ticket! I used my old iRiver to death. Its advantage was using AA batteries. I'd walk to work with the player and when the battery died, I'd just swap out another. A plug-in to recharge iPod can't compete with that.

The new iRivers use tiny AAA batteries; short life and no rechargables. Crap.

5 October 2009 at 16:45  
Blogger Arjan said...

@ Lee hehe.

@ Captain Incredible: I have considered to buy a Zen in the past.

@ R2k: yeah I remember those mp3 players of around 32 or 64MB's.
My dad still has an usb stick of 64MB and I think I've got one of 256..paid 50€ for it at the time!

You cán get AAA rechargables, GP has some NIMH's. And they can be charged in the same loader as the AA's. Or doesn't the Iriver allow rechargables?

8 October 2009 at 12:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home